Municipal Law

Maine municipal planning & zoning attorneys


Most of Maine’s towns and cities have enacted zoning and planning ordinances that govern the type of businesses or buildings that can be operated and maintained in certain areas or zones of the particular city or town.

Before physical expansion of your home or business, relocation of your business to a different part of town, or subdivision of a particular piece of property, you must check local ordinances. You may need to apply for a change of use permit, zoning variance, or zone modification. Failure to obtain municipal approval before starting these types of projects can result in potential work stoppage, fines, and other penalties.

Mike Vaillancourt and John Turcotte of Ainsworth, Thelin & Raftice, P.A. have the knowledge and experience to assist our clients with this process from start to finish. They can help apply for municipal approval for any change in the use of a property.

Our attorneys have appeared before Zoning Boards, Planning Boards, Boards of Selectmen, and City Councils in both York and Cumberland Counties. They stand ready to assist our clients with local municipalities to secure permission to proceed with residential or business plans.


Contact us to discuss your planning or zoning needs


Property and business owners in Southern Maine rely on the skill and professionalism of the attorneys at Ainsworth, Thelin & Raftice, P.A. To find out how we can help you, call us at 207-767-4824, or complete the contact form on the right.


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form or call us at 207-767-4824. A representative of the firm will contact you ASAP.